Sunday, 9 February 2014

Cheltenham Road cinema from Christadelphian to Islamic Centre

In 1914 a cinema was designed by Stokes Croft local architect William Henry Watkins and was originally called the Cheltenham Cinema.
The Cheltenham Road cinema was considered one of the grandest in the city.
Although it changed its name several times, the building was used as a cinema until 1955 when it was converted into a church by the Christadelphian community.
After 44 years having been a place for Bible study and prayer, the community sold the building to  the JD Wetherspoon pub chain in 1994. At the time of the sale the former cinema was given listed building status.
The building was converted and an extension added and was renamed The Magic Box. The pub closed in 2006 and in 2007 planning permission was granted to turn the pub into a comedy club.

As in other parts of Europe the Muslim community is growing and they need places to bring their people together. This way a planning application has been lodged with the city council to convert the boarded-up building on Cheltenham Road into an Islamic Centre.

A spokesperson for the Assahaba group said: “This proposal will enhance the listed building and the setting. It will enable the listed building to be brought back into use with the significant features of listed building retained.
“The building can accommodate the proposed new use and the building has formerly successfully been used as a place of worship.”




Please do find:
Bristol comedy club Jesters could now become mosque +

+++
 

Enhanced by Zemanta