|Arabic script. Eghra, Read. The first Quoranic word, in order of arrival. (Letter Qaf eight times, letter 'Alif sixteen times.) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
The Youth League represents young Muslims from around the UK and works actively to promote unity and tolerance. It hopes to embolden other Muslim organisations to issue similar declarations that unequivocally condemn extremism.
The denunciation by the League comes at a time when ISIS recruitment is on the rise in the UK. Shaykh Rehan Ahmed Raza, president of Muslim Youth League UK and a community activist from Glasgow has said "our efforts are aimed at deterring further ISIS recruitment in Britain and defending the Muslim community, who feel their religion has been hijacked".
In their 7-point declaration against ISIS and other terrorist groups, MYL states:
"1. We declare their killing of human beings, whether Muslim or non-Muslim, to be un-Islamic.
2. Supporters of these groups have deviated from the teachings of Prophet Muhammad and the Quran.
3. The emergence of the terrorists, who would use the name of Islam to justify their atrocious activities, was prophesied by Prophet Muhammad. He declared them as being out of the ambit of Islam.
4. We challenge ISIS, similar groups and their supporters ideologically and intellectually.
5. We reject all generalised Islamophobic labelling of Muslims as extremists or terrorists by the media, politicians and the general public.
6. We ask Muslims from all walks of life, regardless of the school of thought to which they belong, to stand united against extremists who have hijacked the true teachings of Islam.
7. We call upon scholars and community leaders to raise a united and unwavering voice against extremism."
Social media has proven to be a key tool for ISIS to promote their message and recruit young Muslims. As a countermeasure, MYL have revealed their strategy to use twitter and other popular social networking sites to spread the true and peaceful image of Islam.
The barbarism and lack of respect for the sanctity of human life shown by ISIS is a challenge to every civilised value, not least to the tenets of Islam. As Muslims, the MYL will continue to oppose them at every opportunity.
Find out more about MYL UK:
Website - www.myl.org.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/MYL_UK
Facebook - www.facebook.com/MuslimYouthLeagueUK