Wednesday 24 June 2009

There is no true and constant gentleness without humility


"There is no true and constant gentleness without humility;
while we are so fond of ourselves, we are easily offended with others.
Let us be persuaded that nothing is due to us, and then nothing will disturb us.
Let us often think of our own infirmities, and we shall become (forgiving) towards those of others."
- Fénelon

"How blest are those of a gentle spirit;
they shall have the earth for their possession."
Matthew 5:5

Teach me to look over the shortcomings of others
and let me always be gentle.


Dutch version / Nederlandse versie > Er is geen ware en constante zachtheid zonder nederigheid
+++
2013 update:

"True Humility": Bishop: "I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr Jones"; Curate: "Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!" George du Maurier, originally published in 1895'' (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment